Sunday, April 13, 2008

Rambo: First Blood, Part II (1985)

I've spent my life avoiding Rambo movies, but since my friends rented this and wanted to watch it, I figured there was no legitimate reason to maintain my anti-Rambo stance.

John Rambo is dropped off in Vietnam on a secret mission to find out if there are any POWs still alive. He is given a camera (which seems to confuse his war weary brain), and told to take photos if he sees any prisoners. He is not to engage anyone or do any rescue operations.

Of course, this is contrary to Rambo's own moral compass and when he sees prisoners, he grabs one to bring back with him. Unfortunately the mission is a fake and the man in charge leaves Rambo to be captured by the Vietnamese.

As in all 1980s movies, the Russians end up being the bad guys. They torture Rambo until he escapes, kills everyone, and heads back to find the man who left him for dead.

No comments: