Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tony (2009)

The description that I read stated Tony spends most of his time alone, is obsessed with 1980s action flicks and when social situations arise, the result of Tony's awkwardness is murder. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention because I thought it was a black comedy. Then I get the rental and it says it's a gruesome character study..... not what I was expecting to say the least.

Tony is a sad character. He doesn't know how to relate to people, has lived on public assistance for years, and spends his time in a small apartment watching 1980s action films. His attempts at conversation are uncomfortable and the film is really effective in making you feel uncomfortable for him.

But there isn't much going on in this film and I found it couldn't hold my interest. To be fair, that could have been because I was expecting something different. Much of the film is of Tony wandering around the streets or in a nightclub or a brothel, and there is no dialogue. There is a subplot about a missing boy which I wish had been explored further. The film is disturbing and offers no explanation or hope.

No comments: