The house is mostly empty but they aren't sure which room the tape is in. When they stumble across a bunch of tapes, they realize they don't know how to identify the one they're supposed to steal. So they pop some of the tapes into the VCR in the house to watch them which provides us with the thread that keeps this anthology rolling.
I know a lot of people thought this was one of the best movies of the year, but it just didn't work for me. The main characters are horrible people that you want to die. Even the characters in each segment of the anthology are awful people. The only decent human beings in the whole movie are in the last story where they accidentally end up at the wrong house for a party. So basically we wanted everyone dead except for those in the last story.
Here's a breakdown of the hideous people you'll meet in these stories:
- college guys pick up some girls at a bar and take them back to their hotel with plans to secretly tape their sexual encounters with them
- someone is stalking a couple on vacation
- friends take a trip to a lake where one was traumatized by murders that took place years ago
- a girl and her boyfriend who lives in another town talk via a web cam and discuss the spooky happenings in her apartment
- college friends go to a Halloween party but end up at the wrong address