Monday, October 7, 2013

FDR: American Badass (2012)

I love history, and I love movies that take historical figures and put them in ridiculous situations with monsters. Well, I may not love the movie itself, but I'm all for the premise. I was excited about the Abraham Lincoln movies, which didn't live up to their titles, and now we've got one about FDR.  Hurray!

In an incredibly ludicrous plot, Franklin Delano Roosevelt is bitten by a werewolf and gets polio.  With his useless little polio legs, FDR finds his wife will no longer sleep in the same bed with him, but it doesn't stop him from running for president and addressing the nation with a series of tough talking radio speeches.

Meanwhile the leaders of Axis of Evil - Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito -  turn out to be werewolves, who decide to bring the U.S. to it's knees by putting werewolf blood in imported beer and liquor.  But FDR is one ass kicking, werewolf fighting mother and with Albert Einstein, Douglas MacArthur and a crazy wheelchair of death, there is no way to stop him. Hurrah for FDR!

The first scene in this movie when the werewolf shows up, chases FDR and his hunting party, and bites  him was so hilarious that I proclaimed it the best movie I'd ever seen. My friends were also in hysterics but one pointed out there's no way they'd be able to keep this up.  Sadly, that was a prophetic statement. What started out as the best movie ever became a terrible movie by the end.  While there were laughs to be had throughout, the movie is full of jokes you can see coming a mile away, plus a multitude of scatological and sexual jokes that would be really funny if I were a fifteen year old boy.

I did like the cuts between scenes using the presidential seal which were right out of 1960s Batman, complete with similar music, and Barry Bostwick hams it up and does a great job.




No comments: