Monday, March 31, 2014

Phantasm II (1988)

After some scenes from the first movie to provide some back story (and I'm not sure how much sense they'll make if you haven't already seen the first film), Phantasm II picks up right where the first movie left off, and then jumps eight years into the future. Mike has been in a psychiatric institute because he won't accept that everything that happened was in his mind, not in real life.  So Mike finally figures out that if he plays the game and goes along with what the psychiatrist says, he can get out of this place.

Once Mike is out, he starts digging up graves to prove that the Tall Man really does exist. Reggie doesn't believe him until Mike foresees an accident that kills Reggie's family, at which point the two go on a road trip to find Liz, who he's never met.  Though not explained, Mike has a psychic connection to Liz, who is around his age and is believes the Tall Man is coming to get her.  Mike and Reggie are out to save Liz and stop the Tall Man who is roaming the country causing destruction
  
Phantasm is one of my favorite movies of all time. I can't remember which of the sequels I've seen, but remember being disappointed in them.  But this DVD is a Scream Factory release (part of Shout Factory who are one of my favorite labels), plus a friend of mine said this was his favorite Phantasm film.  So I figured I'd give it a chance.

This one doesn't have the charm of the first Phantasm, or the creepiness. When I first saw Phantasm, I was really creeped out, but this one didn't really break any new ground. They've got the flying spheres, the Tall Man, the little hooded creatures, and Reggie, but a different actor plays Mike. James Le Gros does a great job, but it's not the same. Also the movie veers off at one point to focus on Liz for awhile, leaving Mike and Reggie behind.

Perhaps if Phantasm weren't one of my favorite movies, I'd like this one more.  It's fairly thin on plot, but it's not a bad movie and it keeps you entertained.  

No comments: