Thursday, March 18, 2021

Here Comes Hell (2019)

Texan George goes to England to visit Victor who’s just bought an old mansion that used to be owned by an occultist.  Tennis player Freddie brings along his new girlfriend Elizabeth who is not up to the standards of this rich group of friends, especially Victors sister Christine who used to date Freddie.  

The group discuss snooty rich people things until after dinner when Victor announces he has a surprise. They are going to have a psychic hold a seance.  While not everyone is keen on the idea, eventually they start the entertainment which quickly turns into a nightmare.

At ten minutes into this film, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to continue. It’s based on the old dinner party and haunted house movies of the 1930s and 1940s.  However the contrast of the film makes it seem like a modern color film that’s had the color removed. I don’t now if that’s what they did or if it’s the lighting they chose, but I wasn’t feeling it. Although I did like that they appeared to use rear projection for the driving scenes.   

What made me start watching again was I saw someone refer to the film as Larry Blamire meets Evil Dead, both of which I love.  I didn’t find it as funny as Blamire’s films, but if you can get past the first ten to fifteen minutes of set up, it’s worth a watch.  The 1930s evil dead vibe is an interesting idea and they nailed the tone of the old movies. It’s an interesting combination.


No comments: