Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Howling (1981)

Last weekend I was flipping through the channels when I stumbled across a film with werewolves and Dee Wallace.  Seemed like a good bet, but either the passage of time or a change in taste has left me thinking this is not as good as I remember.

Upon recommendation from her therapist, reporter Karen (who was recently stalked by a serial killer) and her husband Bill go away to the Colony for some rest.  But they've picked the wrong place to relax since the other guests are werewolves.

Wouldn't a werewolf resort be more careful about who they let in? And how could Karen and Bill not be suspicious of a place called the Colony? It sounds like a cult.

I prefer make up and special effects to CGI. The transformations  involve using bladders to make the faces pulsate which still looks cool.  The werewolf suits are dated and not all that scary, and the  werewolf at the end is more like a little dog than a beast.

No comments: