Thursday, February 12, 2015

The FP (2011)

In what may be a post apocalypse world, (or just a really crappy place to live), rival gangs fight for control of Frazier Park by competing at Beat Beat Revolution, (essentially Dance Dance Revolution).

The movie hits the major film cliches:

  • someone close to Jtro, the protagonist, dies during the competition 
  • Jtro quits competing and swears he'll never do it again
  • a year later someone tracks him down in an out of the way place because things have gotten really bad in town
  • Jtro starts training and during a music montage it's shown that he doesn't have the skill he used to
  • Jtro's training starts to pay off, his moves are getting quicker
  • the villain's girlfriend is tired of being smacked around and wants to be with Jtro
  • Fighting, training, kidnapping and more fighting ensue
The movie is a parody and I'm all for a good parody. But it's a fine line between being a parody and being what you're attempting to parody.   I wanted to like this but while I like the details, I don't like the film. It's a plus that it nails down the cliches, the film looks good and the Making of feature reveals that the filmmakers seem to be nice people. Plus I like the idea of what they're doing as well as their attitudes, but this just didn't work for me.  I wasn't amused and ended up really disappointed.

No comments: